GM Primary Eyecare Ltd
1. Data Protection Policy
1.1 The principles of data processing
GMPEC as a body that processes personal information, aims to comply with the 8 principles of data processing under the Data Protection Act 1998. These are that personal data must be:
- Fairly and lawfully processed
- Processed for limited purposes and only processed in a manner compatible with those purposes;
- Adequate, relevant and not excessive;
- Accurate and kept up to date;
- Processed in accordance with the data subject’s rights including the data subject’s rights of access and right to object to the processing of their data in certain circumstances;
- Secure: protected from unauthorised and unlawful processing, accidental loss;
- Not transferred to countries outside the European economic area without adequate protection being provided to the personal data on individual subjects.
1.2 Meaning of personal data
Personal data means any information about a living individual which:
- Identifies that individual (for example, by name, address, qualifications, credit card number, national insurance number);
- Together with other information which is held by, or is likely to come into the possession of the data controller that will identify that individual; or
- Includes any expression of opinion about the individual or indication of the intentions of the data controller or any other person in respect of the individual.
1.3 Personal data held
Personal data is stored electronically on the GMPEC database and within the UK. It is not stored in paper format.
1.4. Security of personal data
GM Primary Eyecare Ltd shall continue to take appropriate technical and organisational measures to limit the opportunity for unauthorised or unlawful processing of personal data and to guard against accidental loss or destruction of or damage to personal data. Appropriate contractual obligations shall be incorporated into contracts which GM Primary Eyecare Ltd enters into with third parties.
GM Primary Eyecare will continue to ensure that appropriate staff are engaged to undertake the LOCSU’s data processing and that they are aware of their responsibilities in relation to the processing of personal data as it applies to their area of work. Where appropriate, training will be given.
1.5 Data Protection – controlling your personal information
GMPEC is registered as a Data Controller with the Information Commissioner's Office. Register Entry: Z3576057.
You may choose to restrict the collection or use of your personal information in the following ways:
- if you have previously agreed to us using your personal information in order receive the latest guidance and advice on important issues relevant to the delivery of services through GMPEC, you may change your mind at any time by writing to us at: Communications, GM Primary Eyecare Ltd, 2 Woodbridge Street, London EC1R 0DG or emailing us at: email@example.com
- We will not sell, distribute or lease your personal information to third parties unless are required by law to do so.
- In no event will your personal data be transferred to parties located in countries outside the European Economic Area.
- You may request details of personal information which we hold about you under the Data Protection Act 1998. A small fee will be payable. If you would like a copy of the information held on you please write to Communications, GM Primary Eyecare Ltd, 2 Woodbridge Street, London EC1R 0DG
If you believe that any information we are holding on you is incorrect or incomplete, please write to or email us as soon as possible, at the above address. We will promptly correct any information found to be incorrect.
1.6. Use of personal data held
We collect information, principally to ensure that practitioners and subcontractors and others interested in the development of primary eye care services receive the latest guidance and advice on important issues relevant to the GM Primary Eyecare region, as well as news on community eye care services. We also collect this information to ensure that interested parties are kept informed about the work of GMPEC We may check information provided with other information held by us or by others
2. Website privacy
GMPEC is committed to ensuring that your privacy is protected. Should we ask you to provide certain information by which you can be identified when using this website, you can be assured that it will only be used in accordance with this privacy statement.
GMPEC may change this policy from time to time by updating this page. You should check this page from time to time to ensure that you are happy with any changes. This policy is effective from 8th September 2017
2.1 What we collect
We may collect the following information:
- name, job title, and organisation
- contact information including email address
- demographic information such as postcode, preferences and interests
- other information relevant to customer or member surveys and/or offers
2.2 What we do with the information we gather
We require this information to understand your needs and provide you with a better service, and in particular for the following reasons
- Internal record keeping.
- We may use the information to improve our products and services.
- We may periodically send emails about events, and a range of guidance and advice relevant to GMPEC delivered services using the email address which you have provided.
- From time to time, we may also use your information to invite you to participate in a GMPEC survey. We may contact you by email, phone, fax or mail. We may use the information to customise the website according to your interests.
We are committed to ensuring that your information is secure. In order to prevent unauthorised access or disclosure, we have put in place suitable physical, electronic and managerial procedures to safeguard and secure the information we collect online.
A cookie is a small file which asks permission to be placed on your computer's hard drive. Once you agree, the file is added and the cookie helps analyse web traffic or lets you know when you visit a particular site. Cookies allow web applications to respond to you as an individual. The web application can tailor its operations to your needs, likes and dislikes by gathering and remembering information about your preferences. Follow this link to find out more about cookies and how we use them
2.5 Links to other websites
Our website may contain links to other websites of interest. However, once you have used these links to leave our site, you should note that we do not have any control over that other website. Therefore, we cannot be responsible for the protection and privacy of any information which you provide whilst visiting such sites and such sites are not governed by this privacy statement. You should exercise caution and look at the privacy statement applicable to the website in question.
2.6 Email privacy
2.7 Why did you receive an email from us?
If you received a mailing from us, (a) your email address is either listed with us as someone who has expressly shared this address for the purpose of receiving information in the future ("opt-in"), or (b) you have an existing relationship with us. We respect your time and attention by controlling the frequency of our mailings.
2.8 How we protect your privacy
We use security measures to protect against the loss, misuse and alteration of data used by our system.
2.9 Sharing personal information
We will never share, sell, or rent individual personal information with anyone or unless ordered by a court of law. Information submitted to us is only available to staff engaged to manage this information for purposes of contacting you or sending you emails based on your request for information and to contracted service providers for purposes of providing services relating to our communications with you.
2.91 How can you stop receiving email from us?
Each email sent contains an easy, automated way for you to cease receiving email from us, or to change your expressed interests. If you wish to do this, simply follow the instructions at the end of any email. If you have received unwanted, unsolicited email sent via this system or purporting to be sent via this system, please forward a copy of that email with your comments firstname.lastname@example.org for review.
Changes to this policy by date: 15 September 2011: Publication of this policy. Revised and updated: 01 April 2012